Thought provoking blog. . .
Here's a thought provoking blog from "Dirty Hands" about forcing your kids to do something that is good for them, such as eating their vegetables, doing their homework, not playing in the street, going to church. . .
Pacific Crest Church will be hosting two classes during the month of February into March.
Financial Peace University this February 2016. If you've ever been a part of FPU or thought you might like to give it a try, here's your chance to refresh or begin anew. We will have a preview class February 4th, 2016, 6:00 PM and 6:30 PM at Pybus Market in the event center. Follow the link to sign up for the class. You will be able to order your lifetime membership kit needed for the class. If you already have a lifetime membership kit, there is no need to order.
Alpha Course -- What is Alpha Course? This a class for those who are wondering, "Who is this Jesus? What does it mean to 'follow Him'? And why should I follow Him?" Pacific Crest will be hosting this spiritual journey class starting the second Tuesday of February (2-9-2016) at 7 p.m. at Café Mela. Contact Johnathan Thomas (509-433-7040) for more information.
I don't know about you, but some years it seems as though every time you turn around, there is another funeral to attend. Sometimes it is one of our elder saints - someone who has lived life of love and giving and hardship and LIFE for 90+ years and is ready to go home to their heavenly Father. Sometimes it is that demon, cancer, that takes a loved one away, whether young (why, LORD, why?!?) or old. Sometimes, and this is, I believe, the most difficult, a tragic accident or suicide or drugs -- someone who seemingly has the whole world ahead of them or was just starting out and had so much to bring to make the world a better place. And we cry out, "Why? Why, oh, Lord?!?" Sometimes, I page through my Bible, wondering. . .how can this possibly help? And often, the Holy Spirit guides me to a passage or a psalm that expresses my anguish, or may sooth my soul. It may not always answer my question, but I have come to know that sometimes there is no answer for my question. Many people have cried out to the Lord through the ages. I don't understand. My heart aches. But. . .God does care. And I cling to that, even as my tears flood my eyes and I feel as if I'm hanging on by my fingertips. Today, Psalm 46 is my balm. May it bring a little balm to your soul if you need it.
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
He lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see what the Lord has done,
the desolations He has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease
to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
He burns the shields with fire.
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Ramblings from Bruce
Ramblings. . .
“No Excuses.” I really believe that this is going to be the year of BIG things happening; No Settling, No Excuses! “God has plans for you”, but we have a say in the matter too. Let your choices reflect Him living in you! Here are 12 Ways to Guarantee Success.
1. Put God First—Seek Him, Read His Word, Pray, Serve, Give, Listen to God’s Whispers…
2. Make Family a Top Priority—This should be a “No Brainer”; unfortunately, it’s often neglected. Involve your family, make time for your family, have a family night…Be the Family! Gather together and set individual and family goals for 2016.
3. Set SMART Goals—Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-Based.
4. Simplify—Stop making things so difficult; do what’s right, and do what’s necessary.
5. Don’t Just Talk About It…Be About It. If you say that you’re going to do something, do it!
6. Get Accountability—Share your goals, visions, and desires with someone and ask them to hold you accountable. Don’t just ask them for accountability; let them truly hold you accountable.
7. Assessment—Re-evaluate and assess the status of the various aspects of your life. Evaluate monthly and make necessary adjustments at least quarterly.
8. Try Something New—Get out of your comfort zone and try something, do something, and fail at something. Life is change, and failure is inevitable.
9. Just Say No—Not only should you say “No” to drugs, but there are also plenty of things that you have said “Yes” to in the past that you need to say “No” to in the future.
10. Dream BIG—Think BIGGER. We need to “dream BIG, think BIGGER.” Thinking is the next step after dreaming and is the action of making your dreams reality.
11. No Excuses—“No Excuses!” is a great motto for me, maybe you would like to make it yours too.
12. Help Others Win—If you want to guarantee success in 2016, it should be a year that’s not focused on self but rather focused on others. If you help others win, it’s a win-win situation. Ask yourself this question: What am I doing to help others win?
One thing that you can definitely guarantee is this: “If you aim at nothing, you are guaranteed to hit it.”
See Ya At The Gathering Place in 2016! Bruce Baird
Photos of Events